Click To View Links

Need a Real Estate Coach?

No Social Security Number

by Elizabeth
(Houston TX )

If my husband does not have a SS number but we work and have been renting for years we know we can buy a house please help.


Hello Elizabeth,

Thank you for stopping by my site and asking me a question.

You have a unique situation. You have not given me a lot of details so I will try my best here. You will need to talk to a lender, but here's what I found at the website.

If you have applied for a mortgage and the lender finds out that you are not a US citizen, they will have to determine your residency status.

If for example you are a permanent resident alien, then you may be eligible for an FHA insured loan. You would be treated the same as a US citizen. Now if you are a non-permanent resident alien, you might qualify for an FHA loan provided the home will be your principal residence. You must have a valid SS# and be able to work in the USA.

You would have to prove your work status and residency by going through the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services (BCIS). The lender will look for a history of renewals of your residency status. If they can see you have renewed a few times over the past several years, they may assume a continuance will be granted in the future. Now if the lender does not see any renewals, they have to try and determine your status for future renewals through the BCIS.

So then, the long story made short, all borrowers whether US Citizens, non-permanent or permanent aliens, you need your own social security number to get a mortgage.

So it appears that a Social Security number is needed. I've never heard of anybody getting a mortgage without one.

That does not mean it cannot be done since I know citizens of other countries come to the USA and buy houses, I'm juts not sure about the mortgage side of it. If they bring money from their home country and convert it into US currency then they can own a home here.

You situation is different, it sounds like you want to borrow money from a US lender, so without a Social Security number, I don't think it will work. I'm a little stumped on this one.

Kind Regards,

Jeff Ragan

Click here to post comments

Return to Credit Questions.

Recent Articles

  1. Other Mortgage Down Payment Assistance - Money Gifts

    Aug 07, 18 03:02 PM

    Mortgage down payment assistance in the way of money gifts can be used. Find the best information on how to use these gifts for your mortgage.

    Read More

  2. Money For Down Payment

    Aug 07, 18 03:01 PM

    Need money for down payment? Find the coolest ideas for loan assistance to get you that important mortgage down payment here!

    Read More

  3. Best FHA Home Loans | Free FHA Mortgage Information Found Here

    Aug 01, 18 07:54 AM

    Looking for the best FHA home loans? Click here now, discover how to pick the FHA mortgage that fits your personal situation best.

    Read More

Buyer Programs

fha loans

The FHA Loan Products

Home Buyer Grants

zero down home loans

Zero Down Home Loans

Follow Us On Twitter

follow me on twitter